Parks and Recreation Commission on May 5, 2016
North Liberty Parks & Recreation Committee Meeting
Thursday, May 5, 2016
Board Members Present: Dan Skemp, Scott Stahmer, Jef Farland, Jami Maxson, Jeff Kellbach
Others Present: Shelly Simpson, Brian Motley and Tim Hamer
Meeting called to order: 7:00 pm
- Approve minutes: Minutes from April 7 meeting approved (with correction of date).
- Board Appointments: Dan Skemp and Jef Farland both have expiring terms.
Dan will not be reapplying (taking job in Kansas City).
3.. Building and Grounds Report: Treated ash tress for EAB. Mowing and trimming as time and weather allows. April 9 was Muddy Creek Clean-Up day, thanks to those that helped. Prepared community garden sies. Met with contractors on proposed solar project. Water and sewer complete at concession site.
- Summer Preparations: May was busy getting ready for summer programming, finishing hires, preparing and repairing outdoor pool. Cracks had to be fixed in pool, as it ages may need to look at more expenditures to keep functioning. Also performing pool facility study to look at ccity pool needs..
- Upcoming Events: St Louis Cardinals v Chicago Cubs May 25
Outdoor pool opening May 28
Free swim lessons June 3
Free fishing weekend June 4
Summer Camp & Summer Lunch June 6
Summer swim lessons June 6
- Memorial Day Weekend Hours: Sat – Mon 8am-6pm, pool open noon-6pm.
- Recreation Monthly Report: April was start of registration for programs such as summer camp. Still approx 200 children/session in swim lessons. Lifeguard class had 14 participants, will have another session this month. Soccer popular, waiting list for both sessions. Spring Shed and Scavenger Hunt had 56 participants. Summer camps nearly full.
- Other old business: Discussion of possibly determining number of people attending w/ ball rentals (estimate $ coming to town).
- Next Meeting Thursday June 2, 2016 at 7:00PM
Location: City Council Chambers at 1 Quail Creek Circle
- Adjourned at 7:41 pm