Residents west of Ranshaw Way (Highway 965) will have services provided on Tuesdays.
Residents east of Ranshaw Way (Highway 965) will have services provided on Wednesdays.
Residential customers are provided a heavy-duty, wheeled cart with a hinged lid in one of three sizes, each at a set monthly cost:
- 65 gallons, collected weekly, for $14.65 per month
- 35 gallons, collected weekly, for $12.65 per month
- 35 gallons, collected biweekly, for $7.65 per month
Recycling and yard waste will be collected weekly, with all options.
All trash should fit inside the bin with the lid closed. Excess trash can be placed on top of the lid with a $3 sticker, available for purchase at City Hall, 3 Quail Creek Circle, and other local stores.
If you would like to change your bin size, please contact City Hall at (319) 626-5700 or through this page (please provide your service address).
Residential customers will be provided a heavy-duty, wheeled cart with a hinged lid. Most customers will receive 95-gallon bin, but a 65-gallon bin is available by contacting Johnson County refuse (there is no discount for the smaller bin). A monthly recycling fee is on your monthly utility bill at $4.85. No need to sort your items, just place your recycling bin at the curb. All customers receive weekly recycling collection, regardless of their trash collection schedule.
Recyclable items include:
- Newspapers, including inserts, flattened cardboard and chipboard
- Glass food and beverage containers; clean, no lids
- Aluminum, steel and tin cans; please rinse
- Magazines, phonebooks, and mixed paper
- Plastic food and beverage containers labeled numbers 1-7
- Plastic bags
- Waxed papers or waxed coated cardboard
- Wrapping or tissue paper
- Disposable diapers, tissues, paper towels
- Hard cover books, paperbacks, catalogs
- Anything that contained automotive products
- Any paper with food, fertilizer, etc.
- Windows, light bulbs, mirrors, ceramics, drinking glasses, crystal, etc.
Residents will need to acquire a compost bin from City Hall for a $25 refundable deposit and line it with a yard waste bag, available for $1.65 at a variety of stores in North Liberty. Place the bin at your curb on collection day. To sign up, contact City Hall at (319) 626-5700 or email@example.com.
Compostable items include all food waste, such as:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat (raw or cooked, including bones) and seafood (raw or cooked, including shells)
- Grains, bread and baked goods
- Dairy, eggs, coffee grounds and filters
- Mixed plate scrapings
- Wood produce crates
- Floral waste
- Leftovers past the point of re-serving
- Spoiled foods
- Paper that has been in contact with food such as:
- Parchment bakery tray liners
- Pizza boxes
- Uncoated paper plates
Items that are not accepted:
- Any trash or other contaminants
- Plastic, metal, glass
- Foil- or plastic-coated paper
- Plastic packaging
- Plastic straw wrappers, stir sticks
- Waxed paper or waxed cardboard (most often it’s actually plastic-coated)
- Chemically treated or painted wood
Bags, imprinted with “Johnson County Refuse,” are $1.65 each and may be filled to 39 gallons/40 pounds. Brush and small limbs: two bundles picked up free of charge each Wednesday. Must be cut approximately four feet long and tied in bundles weighing 40 pounds or less. All customers receive weekly recycling collection, regardless of their trash collection schedule.
The Johnson County Refuse bags are available at City Hall (3 Quail Creek Circle), True Value (55 S Dubuque Street), LD Express (900 W Penn Street) and Fareway (615 Westwood Drive).
Disposal of Other Items
You can get rid of larger items, like appliances, tires and furniture, curbside if you arrange for pickup ahead of time by calling Johson County Refuse at (319) 665-4498.
Spring Cleanup Day
The City of North Liberty also hosts a Citywide or Spring Cleanup Day once per year, when residents can bring large items to the public works facility free of charge. This event is the last Saturday morning in April.
Spring Cleanup Day is held the last Saturday in April from 7 to 11 a.m. and is for residents of North Liberty only. Please be prepared to verify that you are a North Liberty resident with a water bill stub or driver’s license. North Liberty residents pay $.30 each month on their recycling bill for this service.
Miscellaneous large items are to be brought to the Public Works Facility, 620 Calvin Street. (Go south on Front Street to Golf View Drive. Turn right and go to Calvin Street. Turn right to Public Works facility.)
The following items will be accepted:
- Furniture and other bulky items.
- White goods (appliances)
- Brush and tree limbs
- Tires and batteries (car & truck)
- Metal and car parts
Dumpsters will be delivered on Saturday morning and each type of refuse will have a designated location.
Assistance will be provided to the elderly or handicapped. Please call City Hall (626-5700) to make arrangements.
Regular household trash, paint and toxic materials will not be accepted. A permanent drop-off site for paint and other hazardous materials has been created at the Iowa City landfill. Items may be dropped off by appointment each day.