13 ways you know you live in North Liberty
1. You fear that children will soon outnumber adults.
Seriously, according to the 2015 special census, 26% of our population is under 14 years old.
2. You wonder if there is, in fact, something in the water.
It’s hard to go longer than 5 minutes without seeing a pregnant woman around town.
3. Your reaction when you hear a new restaurant is coming to town.
North Liberty gained many new spots to grab a bite in 2017 including BeerBurger, Cafe Muse, Arby’s, Tin Roost, Ledi Family Restaurant, and Little Ceasars. Wig & Pen, Rusciano’s and Fiesta also expect to open soon.
4. You may spend a portion of your weekday mornings on Front Street.
But it’s still WAY better than Chicago, right? The opening of North Liberty Road has eased traffic, but there is a plan for more upgrades in the coming years including improvements to the Penn Street and Front Street intersection and rebuilding Front Street from Zeller to Cherry. The Iowa DOT has also begun work on the Forevergreen I-380 interchange.
5. It’s completely normal to wear a Snuggie out on the town
350 people did last year for Beat the Bitter and you can too on February 3, 2018.
6. 90% of your Facebook newsfeed is North Liberty Mamas updates.
Local gossip, parenting support, and the lowdown on the latest stomach bug going around. They’ve got you covered.
7. You’re confident that Heyn’s is the only ice cream this world needs.
Monster Mash anyone??? Nothing is better than Heyn’s after a baseball game, or anytime, really.
8. Waffle breakfasts are the best breakfasts.
It’s as if you’ve never tasted a waffle in your life when the annual FRIENDS of the Library waffle breakfast comes around each October.
9. You take advantage of every free event offered.
Sure, there may be 1,000,000 kids there, but it will be fun!
10. A restaurant patio is only a patio with a bonfire.
We flock to them.
11. You never make plans to leave town the second Saturday in July.
North Liberty Blues & BBQ is back for its twelfth year on July 14, 2018.
12. You dream of the day when trees are big enough to provide shade.
If you live west of Ranshaw Way, the struggle is real. Grow, little trees, grow!
13. The rest of the Iowa City-Cedar Rapids area is jealous of you.
Money Magazine ranked North Liberty No.75 in the top 100 places to live in the America. Council Bluffs, Dubuque and Urbandale were the other Iowa cities to make the list.
Thanks for living in North Liberty where we work. We play. We kid.